Location: From Thessaloniki → 98km - From Polygyros → 36km
Nikiti is one of the most picturesque villages in Halkidiki.
One of Sithonia's most popular towns is a destination for everyone, with a bustling seafront and a charming traditional village nestled up in the hills.
Nikiti was established in the 14th century and is the capital of the Municipality of Sithonia. It has a population of some 3,000 permanent residents, with numbers rising in the summer thanks to a wide selection of accommodation and dining options that make it an attractive destination both for Greek and foreign tourists.
The old village has its own architectural style, with old stone-built houses, coming straight from previous centuries. You can stroll down the cobblestone alleys, smelling the flowers that are everywhere and relax at one of the traditional taverns. The village overlooks the peninsula of Kassandra and offers a fantastic view to the Toroneos Gulf. It’s a relaxing way to pass the time and you can also make the best of the turquoise waters and relaxing beach bars.
Worth it to see:
- The old town of Nikiti, built in 1830; the church of St. Nikitas (1867) and the old school (19th century) that has turned into the local History and Folklore Museum and offers interesting insights into the area's past.
- The cemetery church built in the 16th century, of which the central nave and some frescoes are preserved.
- Also, St. George church, the early Christian basilica of the 5th century and St. Sophronios, the early Christian basilica dedicated to Agios Sophronios.
- The chapels dedicated to Apostol Paul, St.Panteleimon and St. Athanassios.
✓ Don’t miss it
- Stroll around the old town of Nikiti, the lovely traditional village that retains an air of romantic nostalgia.
- Enjoy a sailing cruise from the port of Nikiti for an unforgettable experience.
- The last Sunday of July, a well- known international sports event, the Swim Crossing of Toroneos Gulf, is taking place while swimmers from all over the world come to take part. A long journey starts from Kallithea and finishes at Nikiti beach. When the event ends, a big public feast bursts out.